Incase you have not read up on what is soon to be implemented…
The CRT Act establishes a new dispute resolution and adjudication process for all British Columbia’s residents with small claims disputes and certain issues relating to Strata Corporations. It is structured to encourage resolution of disputes using certain tools and processes but also maintains as a last resort adjudication of issues should the issue not get resolved.
The CRT has been given the authority to handle disputes between Strata Lot Owners and Strata Corporations, for a variety of issues such as;
- non-payment of monthly strata fees or fines;
- unfair actions by the strata corporation or by people owning more than half of the strata lots in a complex;
- uneven, arbitrary or non-enforcement of strata bylaws (such as noise, pets, parking, rentals);
- issues of financial responsibility for repairs and the choice of bids for services;
- irregularities in the conduct of meetings, voting, minutes or other matters;
- interpretation of the legislation, regulations or bylaws; and
- issues regarding the common property.
The initial cost for a dispute to be brought to the tribunal is $100 for claims less than $3000, and $156 for claims over $3000 up to a maximum $25,000. The Tribunal costs are scaling meaning the sooner the dispute is resolved the less it will cost disputing parties.